It’s the Dawn of a New Era… at least for now!
Welcome to Broadway Sessions LIVE… in this, our first attempt at livestreaming our event, we wanted to give you a few helpful pointers that may make life easier (and your viewing experience more enjoyable). Take a look down our list of potential questions you might have, and if there’s something we haven’t covered off, just get in touch with the team!
How can I watch the livestream?
Firstly, you must be online and logged in to the Broadway Sessions website. You can use whatever device you want, but only one device (per account) can be logged in at a time. Any modern, internet-connected device with a web browser is likely to work! Once logged in, just navigate to the current session page where the livestream will be listed. You can get there by using either: the link in the bottom left corner of your screen (Next Session), or clicking What’s On in the menu above and selecting the top Session.
Here are some specific notes on a few viewing methods using your TV:
- For options using a cable connection:
- If you have a laptop with a HDMI port, plugging in a HDMI cable and connecting this to your TV is likely the easiest way to get the video and sound on the big screen!
- Your iPhone or iPad may also support a HDMI connection. If you have a device with a lightning port, the following Apple dongle will help. If you have a fancy new iPad with a USB-C connector, then you’ll need one of these instead. If you want to be sure you have the right one, just take your device along to the store!
- Alternatively for wireless options:
- If you live in the Google/Android ecosystem (or use Google Chrome on your computer), you may be able to utilise a Google Chromecast to view the media. Load up the video, then push on the ‘cast’ icon in the toolbar of the video player.
- If you’re an Apple/iOS user, you can utilise the AirPlay technology if you have an AppleTV connected to your big screen. Load up the livestream page using an iOS device (either an iPhone, or iPad) and then once you put the video into full-screen mode, an AirPlay button will be visible in the bottom left corner.
- You can also utilise this functionality from a Mac by sharing your whole screen. Click on the AirPlay icon in the menu bar (top, right-hand corner), and select your compatible AppleTV device.
- For users with Smart TVs:
- You may find that you can use the TVs own web browser to navigate to the Broadway Sessions site, and login to view the stream directly on the screen. However, many TVs have very poor web browsers, so this option should probably be a last-resort (in our opinion). There is currently no native app or interface for our site that will allow you to view this directly on a TV without a web browser (or using one of the above methods).
Can I stop the livestream and start again later?
Yes… but… unfortunately, this is a live event. If you stop or pause the livestream, when you press play again, the feed will jump to the current time and you will have missed part of the performance (just like if you got up and went to the bathroom in a real venue). This requirement is part of our licensing restrictions and does not enable us to allow you to replay the performance at a later date. You will be able to leave and come back to the performance at any point – but you’ll have a big hole in your heart where those missed performances would have been.
You can also change devices, if you need, by simply logging in on a new device at any point. Keep in mind, however, that because of our limits, your original device will logout automatically if you are detected in any other location. Should you need ot watch on multiple devices (even in the same household), you will need separate login accounts with individually purchased tickets.
Can I join the livestream after it has started?
Definitely! But… keep in mind, you will have missed part of the performance, and we cannot give partial refunds for missing some of the performance. You are more than welcome to join us at any point though! Ticket sales will be available throughout the entire event in case you want to join us part-way through. All event times and dates are listed as local time in Adelaide, South Australia.
Can I get involved somehow in the livestream?
Yes! If you want to use social media, you can send us photos, text and other messages by using the hashtag #BroadwaySessionsLive. We’ll be checking Twitter, Instagram, and posts to our Broadway Sessions Facebook Page (as Facebook has killed off the hashtag functionality in normal posts). We’d love to see how you’re experiencing lockdown Broadway Sessions, so send us your pics!
Keep in mind that this is really a one-way stream, however, and not like a video meeting. We won’t be able to see or hear you unless you make some noise (virtually) on social media. It’s going to be a very different experience for our performers, especially those who are new and have never sung with us before, but we’d love you to support them in any way you can!
What quality will the livestream be presented in?
The stream, by default, will be delivered in high definition (HD), but will automatically drop down to a quality appropriate for the speed of your internet connection. The quality of the stream, therefore, is really dependent on your current internet access and is done so that you don’t experience constant buffering and reloading. We have configured the software to deliver as high quality an experience as possible, so we hope that you’ll get to see all our performers in crystal clear HD… but you know how well the NBN works…
Can I watch from anywhere in the world?
Unfortunately, no… our licensing restrictions mean that we can only make the stream available to viewers in Australia, and because of this, we’ve limited ticket sales to Australian-issued credit cards only. We would have loved to have shared this experience with you all, wherever you might be right now, but the law is the law!
What if I just can’t get it to work?
Don’t stress. Shoot us a quick email (we’ll be on guard), and we’ll try and help you out as soon as possible. The stream will be live from 10 minutes before the start of the event, and we’ll do our best to get you sorted in this time. If there is a major problem, we’ll work something out. We’ve set up a specific email for livestream issues, so contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can be sure to help out.